San Juan Islands 4-Day sea kayaking tour. Truly a trip of a lifetime!
Embark on Tumalo Creek's San Juan Islands 4-day sea kayaking tour: truly a trip of a lifetime. Learn navigation, sea kayaking techniques, efficient boat packing, and wilderness camping skills... All while enjoying the company of friends and expert Tumalo Creek guides. This trip is ideal for those who have taken our kayaking skills courses, and are ready to challenge their competence on open water.
On this trip you will get the chance paddle from island to island, all while under the watchful eye of Tumalo Creek guides. In addition to providing on water safety, our guides will prepare all meals, deserts, and snacks on this paddling adventure. During the day expect to see an array of wildlife including orca whales, porpoise, otter, and seals. When conditions are right you may also enjoy spectacular sunsets that are often follow by a highly unique light show, bioluminescence. Multiple days on the water will give us the chance experience everything from rocky cliffs, warm sandy beaches, and thick island forests, with the backdrop of Mt. Baker and the Olympic Mountains in the distance. Paddling days typically do not exceed 2-3 miles, but if you want more, our guides are happy to explore around the islands by boat or foot with you.
We want all of our guests to feel comfortable and safe while on the water. It is Tumalo Creeks policy that all San Juan Islands Sea Kayaking participants participate in the Intermediate Skills Kayaking class (offered every other Sunday June - September).
All participants must demonstrate the ability to:
• Hold breath while under water
• Float independently on your back with a properly fitted PFD
• Turn from face down to face up with a properly fitted PFD
• Get in and out of a kayak independently or with assistance of a companion.
• Maintain a balanced, upright position when seated in a kayak, with adaptations if needed.
• Paddle with adequate technique for traveling up to 10 miles a day
• Independently wet exit while wearing a properly fitted skirt
• Re-enter a kayak, while in open water, by preforming an assisted re-entry and/or self-rescue
If you are unable to attend the Intermediate Skills Kayaking class or have questions regarding the participation requirements please contact Topher Robertson at 541-317-9407 or [email protected]
Tumalo Creek Provides
- Transportation to/from Anacortes to Orcas Island
- Meals and Snacks
- All Group Camping Gear
- See gear list
Gear required for this trip is available for purchase at our shop.
Washington Park, Anacortes, WA
+ CANCELLATION POLICY
Tumalo Creek Kayak & Canoe Programs Cancellation Policies
Overnight Lessons/Tours: 30 days prior to departure date required for cancellations or date changes. No Shows, cancellations or date changes for any reason inside the 30 day period will be subject to forfeiture of all fees and/or deposits.
Tumalo Creek Kayak & Canoe (TCKC) Initiated Cancellation Disclaimer: Applies to all one day lessons, trips, tours, multi-day trips, camps and special events. TCKC reserves the right to cancel, postpone or reschedule one day lessons, trips, tours, multi-day trips, camps and special events within 24 hours of scheduled date. Circumstances include but are not limited to; low enrollment, weather (ex. thunderstorms/lightning), natural disasters (ex. forest fires) and events or circumstances beyond TCKC’s control.
+ OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
Congratulations! and Thank You for ChoosingTumalo Creek Kayak and Canoe’s 4 Day San Juan’s Sea Kayak Adventure. Get ready to experience The San Juan Island’s in a wayfew individuals get the chance to! Your trip is designed to to be adventurous with just the right amount of physical challenge. You’ll experience open water paddling with land in site, delicious meals, great company and plenty of natural beauty.
Remember we’re always available to answer any trip questions you may have.
So please contact us during business hours at 541.317.9407
- 4 Day Sample Itinerary. Please note that this is only a tentative schedule and may change due to varying conditions, ferry times, or other circumstances.
• Arrive in Anacortes on Wednesday, Sept. 9th. Arrival time is flexible and up to your personal needs.
• Camping - You may choose to camp with us in Washington Park or stay in several local hotels. Tumalo Creek will be camped at sites B12 and B15*.
• 6:30am - meet and check in with Tumalo Creek staff at Anacortes Ferry Terminal. Look for the Tumalo Creek Van and trailer. We will be there to meet and check everyone in. Park cars in long term lot and load gear into Tumalo Creek van. You also have the option to drive onto ferry and follow the Tumalo Creek van to launch site.
• 7:25am - Ferry Departure. All guests should be ready with gear loaded by 6:45
• 8:15am - Arrival on Orcas Island. Drive to Eastsound for coffee and snack at Eastsound Coffee Shop
• 9:30-11:30am - Rigging, packing and lunch at North Beach before launching
• Paddle to Sucia, before heading to Patos for first night camping
Layover day on Patos. Explore Patos, option to circumnavigate Patos or day paddle to North East side of Sucia. 2nd night on Patos.
Paddle to Sucia. Arrive early afternoon for time to explore Sucia on foot or by boat. Camp on Sucia.
Break camp. Paddle back to North Beach. Arrive back to ferry terminal early afternoon for a 2:20 ferry departure back to Anacortes arriving at 3:15.
- Gear List
• PFD; Whistle
• Paddle Float
• Bilge pump
• Paddle shoe; booties, mukluks
• Sunglasses w/retainer strap
• Sunscreen & Lip Balm SPF 30
• Sun hat, rain hat, and/or fleece hat
• Synthetic top and bottom
• Paddling top • Paddling pant
• Nylon shorts and/or swimsuit
• 32oz Water bottle (2)
• Lightweight Backpack Style Sleeping bag
• Lightweight Backpack Style Sleeping Pad
• Lightweight Compact Tent
• Camp shorts (1pr)
• Camp pants (1pr)
• 2 camp shirts
• Fleece pants and jacket (wool or down ok)
• Towel (small)
• Toiletry kit
• Insulated coffee/tea mug w/lid
• Insect repellent
• Headlamp or Flashlight w/spare batteries
• Camp shoes and socks
• Small dry bags for personal gear (4 10-20 litre bags, 1-2 5 litre bags)
• Ground Tarp
• Paddling gloves
• Small lightweight Pillow
• Small personal repair kit
•Personal first aid kit (group first aid kit provided)
• Waterproof Camera
• Musical Instrument (Check with TCKC Staff)
• Book • Charts & maps w/chart case
• Journal and pen • Binoculars
• Fishing gear/ fishing license
• lightweight/compact folding chair (Crazy Creek)
• Dice/Playing Cards • Bath towel & Clean Clothes for end of trip
Tumalo Creek Kayak and Canoe (TCKC) provides dry bags for all group gear.
Also provided, boats, paddles, PFD’s and spray skirts.
TCKC has a full selection of paddling equipment and accessories. We would be happy to assist you in getting outfitted for your trip. Please remember to keep your personal gear to a minimum, while always keeping personal comfort in mind.
Our trips are BYOB. If you would like to bring your own please feel free to do so. TCKC can help with storage and transportation. Please no glass.
Have you taken our intermediate Skills Kayak Class (ISK) yet? This is a
great primer for our San Juan’s trips. In our ISK’s we teach important
paddling techniques, efficient boat packing,and invaluable safety skills.
And just a reminder...don’t forget to get some training days in! Being in
paddle shape only comes from paddling, so get out and enjoy all the great paddle
opportunities in Central Oregon!
+ FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What should I wear out on the River?
We recommend wearing clothes and shoes that you are ok getting wet. Moisture wicking fabrics are best as they dry quickly. Avoid cotton clothing as it takes a long time to dry and can keep you cold.
Do you provide life jackets?
We do provide life jackets at no additional cost for all of our rentals, tours and classes. We have a variety of sizes to fit many body types.
Are there rapids?
Unless a trip is a whitewater specific trip you will not have to go through any rapids.
Do you provide lunch?
We do provide a sack lunch for all of our full day tours. You can choose your sandwich preference at the same time you make your reservation, vegetarian options are available.
Are dogs allowed on tours?
Unfortunately dogs are not allowed on any of our tours or classes.
Can we do a custom trip?
We can do custom trips and tours. These can be contingent upon availability of our guides and vehicles. Please email [email protected] for more information and pricing.